The lure of the beauty of the Caribbean isn’t just for those seeking fun and relaxation. With over 60 medical schools listed in the International Medical Education Directory (IMED), the Caribbean has increasingly become the preferred destination for students seeking alternatives to their domestic medical schools.
The 25 most popular Caribbean medical schools are located on islands varying in size, demographic, and environment. Official languages of a majority of the region’s islands/countries are English, French, Spanish, Dutch, and Papiamento.
As if the perpetually sunny forecast isn’t enticing enough, doctors-to-be (and nurses, too) who choose the Caribbean for medical school often enjoy the benefits of personalized attention and a small student body typically lacking in large North American or European universities.
Small student-professor ratios permit unmatched opportunities for mentoring and research that might take years to attain at other schools. Caribbean medical schools also provide students with specialties and training opportunities that are difficult to find elsewhere.
From specializing in tropical medicine to fulfilling residency requirements in small family or community-based practices, students who graduate from Caribbean medical schools will possess extensive hands-on clinical experience in settings that will give them insight into the ways in which society and medicine intersect.
There are still more benefits to studying medicine in the Caribbean. While they may be smaller than continental medical schools and may not have the same range or easy accessibility of medical technologies, facilities are modern, and often new.
Then there’s a benefit that’s often overlooked: diverse student bodies. Universities in the Caribbean attract students from around the world.
While this is also true of continental universities, foreign students in large schools often get absorbed into their own unique cultural groups. In the Caribbean, the small admission ratio serves to keep students intermingling regardless of their background.
Students of a four-year Caribbean medical school program generally attend classes on-island for the first 16 months (four Terms) of the basic sciences portion of their education. The fifth Term of the basic sciences is either continued on-island or at a location in the U.S. depending on the institution. Additionally, some programs include two years of pre-medical education, usually on-island, prior to the start of the basic sciences. This may be a viable option for students without necessary prerequisite training, or possibly as the starting point of their post-high school education. The remainder of the medical education process, including clinical training and residency, is often completed in the U.S. and Canada, although some universities offer opportunities further abroad.
AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL MEDICAL UNIVERSITY is an independent affiliate of AIM-U International Group, serving in the areas of health care training and teaching. AIM-U has developed a dynamic working affiliation and partnership with renowned organizations such as Columbia Union College (CUC), one of the oldest educational institution in the National capital under the Seventh Day Adventist Group and the Greater Medical Centre Group (GMC). The above association aims at excellence in offering the supportive programs of AIM-U and in achieving the vision of ” Brings health care innovation to serve humanity “.
AIM-U is committed to provide high quality medical education. 70% of the Practicing International Medical Graduates (IMG’S) in USA are from OECS regional medical schools. (Ref : World Bank Development Report for OECS 2004 ). AIM-U continues to contribute towards this mark with high caliber qualified medical and nursing graduates.
AIM-U is one of the new generation developing medical school, which is working towards the above target. AIM-U primary focus is always on intellectual development of the students to prepare them for excellent career path. The uniquely structured academic programs including joint /dual degrees will augment the above objective as an achievable target. AIM-U is very much committed to student performance. AIM-U is closely working with the Government of Saint Lucia and also with its affiliates /associates in USA. AIM-U chartered university which has been recognized by the Government of Saint. Lucia. It is also recognized by ECFMG and listed with FAIMER’s IMED. The school has been approved for World Health Organization listing. The school curriculum and academic programs are prepared and monitored by Members / Specialists of Medical Councils, including Medical School Accreditation Approval and Monitoring Committee, ECFMG, GMC and Medical council of India. AIM-U’s unique medical education programs are based on the proven success of USMLE, which was developed and is being frequently updated by distinguished medical professionals. This will enable the students to acquire sound and updated medical knowledge and ethics, and effectively apply them in practice as knowledgeable, skilful, compassionate, and very successful physicians.
AIM-U is recognized by the Ministry of Health and Labour Relations, Government of Saint Lucia and accredited by the Ministry of Education and Culture. The working entity is incorporated under the laws of Saint Lucia. ,Primary functions of this organization include medical and nursing education, research and executive training programs. The Ministry allows the above entity to provide 4 year and 5 Year MD programs for national and international students. After successful completion of MD program, AIM-U students can practice medicine in Saint Lucia, USA and also internationally with the approval of respective licensing authorities.
The University Academic and Administrative Board consists of highly experienced professionals who are leaders in their professional endeavors. Management and faculty of AIM-U comprise experienced and committed professors who are not only knowledgeable but also possess excellent teaching skills. AIM-U faculty members take pride in providing quality education to their students and easily accessible . All Faculties possess a minimum of MD or PhD or both.
- AIM-U is a new generation medical university, recognized as per the norms of ECFMG, USA.
- AIM-U Support Programs are offered at CUC campus , which is centrally located near Washington D.C and the School of Medicine is located in St Lucia. According to World Bank report, St Lucia is the 9 th largest contributor of International Medical Graduates (IMG’s) to US practice.
- OECS regional schools contribute more than 70% of the International Medical Graduates (IMG’S) to USA. Refer World Bank Report 2006 ).
- AIM-U is offering unique Dual / Joint degree programs in partnership with CUC .
- The University is managed by well experienced and distinguished professionals in the field of medical education. .
- AIM-U considers bright and highly motivated students regardless of their economic ,social status by providing fellowships & scholarships.
- Curriculum is prepared and monitored by experts of ECFMG, GMC, Medical Council of India and Medical School Accreditation, Approval and Monitoring Committee.
- Institutional guaranteed student loans available through Harvest Bank of Maryland
- AIMU-U school of Medicine is located in a highly secured and very friendly – serene environment in St. Lucia.
- AIM-U enter in to the Inter- Institutional partnership with leading organizations such as UNESCO – WPC South Asia for inter institutional projects
- Successful medical graduates are eligible for licensing process in USA, Canada and Internationally.
Why Saint Lucia?
- Saint Lucia is one of the member state in the Organization of American States (OAS)
- Saint Lucia is the 9th largest contributor of International Medical Graduates( IMG’s ) to USA. (Refer the World Bank Report 2006).
- Low cost of living among the (OAS) Organization of American States.
- One of the most beautiful and friendly destinations best suited for studies in North America.
- Low crime rate and most friendly people.
- Like any other American /OECS destinations, Saint Lucia is easily accessible and there are frequent flights from New York, Atlanta, Miami ,Toronto and London.