AIMU CUC Centre for Medical Science, Maryland-USA
The Clinical Co-ordination Facility at the AIMU CUC is responsible for Introduction to Clinical Medicine Program and clinical placement in the affiliated hospitals. The attachment and allotment of the clinical students to various ACGME affiliated hospitals is monitored and allotted by the Clinical Team in USA, The state of art modern tutoring facilities at AIMU CUC campus will prepare the students for the USMLE II during the clinical program. The preceptors / guides of the various specialties have good experience and exposure and are always responsible for the best possible result. The clinical facilities are affiliated and accredited to ACGME.
Affiliation agreement with the University of the West Indies
AIMU is pleased to announce an affiliation agreement with the University of the West Indies, Mona Campus in Jamaica. UWI offers rotations in Internal Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry and Family Practice to AIMU students; as well as elective clerkships. The UWI, Mona Campus offers our students flexible academic programmes, an ethnically diverse environment, culturally vibrant programmes, immigration & visa support, a beautiful Campus (with yearlong tropical weather). The addition of rotations at UWI, Mona campus will further strengthen clinical teaching-learning at AIMU.
Clinical administration and organization
The Office of Clinical Student Affairs is part of the Clinical Administration. This department works as a bridge between students and Clinical Centers. At AIMU CUC, the department of CMS provides a medium of communication that helps the student through the clinical process. Each Clinical Center in the U.S. has a residency program approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) or is affiliated with a medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee for Medical Education (LCME). All the hospitals affiliated with AIM-U has an on staff program director, faculty members and an administrative assistant who are responsible for teaching, supervising and otherwise facilitating the clinical experience for AIM-U students. Program directors are directly responsible to our Clinical Dean and in turn the whole set up is directly controlled by Office of the Executive Dean in USA for implementing the published requirements of American International Medical University. They also undertake daily supervision of clinical teaching programs and regularly scheduled core clerkship exams. Administrative professionals supplement their responsibility for student counseling, daily program co-ordination, management and record-keeping requirements. Besides the regular clinical co-ordination activity, the AIMU clinical Centers also looks after the clinical phase of your education. There are several steps that are important for you to consider as you strive towards your ultimate goal of succeeding in receiving your medical degree and eventual medical licensure. Below is the listed activity the AIMU CUC Centre for Medical Science.
- The Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education is a private, non-profit council that evaluates and accredits medical residency programs in the United States.
- The ACGME was established in 1981 from a consensus in the academic medical community for an independent accrediting organization. Its forerunner was the Liaison Committee for Graduate Medical Education, established in 1972.
- The mission of the ACGME is to improve health care by assessing and advancing the quality of resident physicians’ education through accreditation.
- In academic year 2005-06, there were 8,186 ACGME-accredited residency programs in 120 specialties and subspecialties. The number of active full-time and part-time residents for academic year 2005-06 was 103,367.
- The ACGME has 28 review committees (one for each of the 26 specialties, one for a special one-year transitional year general clinical program and one for institutional review). Each residency committee comprises about 6 to 15 volunteer physicians. Members of the residency review committees are appointed by the AMA Council on Medical Education and the appropriate medical specialty boards and organizations. Members of the Institutional Review Committee and Transitional Year Committee are appointed by the ACGME Executive Committee and confirmed by the Board of Directors.
- The ACGME’s member organizations are the American Board of Medical Specialties, American Hospital Association, American Medical Association, Association of American Medical Colleges and the Council of Medical Specialty Societies. Member organizations each appoint four members to the Board of Directors, which also includes two resident members, three public directors, the chair of the Council of Review Committee Chairs and a non-voting federal representative.
AIMU University has extensive relationships with ACGME-approved teaching hospitals throughout the United States.
AIM-U Clinical Rotation is being administered from the office of the the Dean, Clinical Administration, Takoma Park, Maryland. This office is responsible for the Clinical Program of the AIM-U and coordination with other Clinical affiliates located in Atlanta through Benham Medical Institute and in Chicago through AICG. Besides this the students have the opportunity to continue their Clinical Rotations in different parts of USA depending upon their choice.
The following is a partial list of approved teaching hospitals attached with ACGME in the United States where AIMU University students can do rotations:
The list of Hospitals for Clinical Rotations in the US
United Medical Center
Bon Secours Hospital
Specialty Hospital of Washington
Washington Hospital Center
Howard General Hospital (John Hopkins)
Baltimore Washington Medical Center
Southern Maryland Community Hospital
Sinai Hospital of Baltimore
George Washington Hospital
Washington Specialty Hospital / Providence Hospital
Genesis Healthcare Associates
Well star Cobb Hospital
Emory Adventist Hospital
Family care of Smyrna
PACT Atlanta LLC
DeKalb Medical Center
Wesley Woods Geriatric Hospital
Atlanta Womens Specialty Group
LH Internal Medicine
Emory University Hospital
Childrens Hospital of Atlanta
Larkin Hospital Miami
Florida Regional Medical Center
Holy Cross Hospital
St. Marys Hospital of Nazareth
Little Company of Mary Hospital
Illinois Masonic Hospital
Norwegian American Hospital
St. Anthony Hospital University
Jackson Park Hospital
Cook County Hospital
RML Specialty Hospital
Adventist La Grange Memorial Hospital
St. Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center